Worsley Old Hall
Worsley Old Hall is a grade II listed building. It lies within the village of Worsley, most famous perhaps as being the strategic location of the Bridgewater Canal, which is fed by Worsley Brook. The first section of the navigable canal was from the Delph at Worsley to Salford and was developed by the Duke of Bridgewater, the owner of Worsley Park, from 1758.
Although the most important events in Worsley’s story took place with the building of the Bridgewater Canal, the place has a much older history dating from the times when it was a small township within the large parish of Eccles.
The first reference to it by name came in 1195 when records tell us that Hugh Poutrell gave the Manors of Worsley and Hulton to ‘Richard, son of Elias de Workesley, for his homage and service’. Some 30 different methods of spelling the place-name were recorded during the 12th to 14th centuries, but by 1450 the present version was in permanent use.
We think that our pub, Worsley Old Hall, in Worsley on the northern side of Manchester, is something a bit special: it is probably best described as being a country house pub, nothing else quite seems to fit the bill.
Although the building is on an impressive scale, it is not a grand place. You’ll find a large curved bar right at the heart of the building, with lots of nooks and crannies round and about, open fires for those who prefer to tuck themselves away, and plenty of busier rooms for those who enjoy a happy buzz about the place. There really is nowhere else quite like it….and on a sunny day outside, with views across the golf course, it is quite special (although we do say so ourselves).