Combined Canada/USA holiday visa related headache  



Hello everyone. 

I've recently booked a 'holiday of a lifetime' for me, my wife and two kids. We fly from Heathrow/London at the end of July and start our month's holiday in Toronto, Canada. If I understand correctly, we all need to apply for an eTa to enter Canada by air. 

After a few days we are getting the overnight train to New York, thus are entering the USA at a land border. I've been researching this online and am still not 100% sure, so can someone please confirm that this means we do not need to apply for an ESTA to enter the USA? As far as I can tell, you only have to do this if entering via air or sea. Incidentally, we are eventually leaving the USA by air in Orlando, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

... What I've read somewhere is that the train to New York will stop at the border for about two hours and people such as us will have to fill in a form I-94W (I think). Is that correct?

This visa related issue is stressing me out, I must confess. I mean, I don't want to pay for 4 ESTAs that we don't need, but at the same time I'm concerned about the holiday ending at the Canadian/USA border.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Incidentally, we've never been to the USA before so any tips/advice is welcome.


Please Login or Register